Thursday, December 31, 2009

I heard somebody whisper, "please adore me"


Every month for about the last ten years I have been subscribing to a magazine called The Sun. The magazine hosts a collection of interviews, poems, and narrative pieces, both fiction and nonfiction. I find it to be one of the most honest collections about the human experience as I have even encountered, though often readers complain it is too dark, too sad.

Within the magazine, there is a section called "Readers Write." Each month the magazine suggests a topic and readers write in about it, much like a warm-up exercize in any creative writing class. What results is an interesting amalgam of experiences: sad, funny, some true, some maybe not.

I am set to start writing my master's thesis this spring and my proposal has something to do with Cf (not ready to get too into it yet, it is an ever changing endeavor). In light of that, I have been rereading old journals and blogs (I have been writing online for 10 years as well!). I thought tonight (this morning), instead of the same ole same old New YEar's blog, I would take this month's Sun Reader's Write and use that as a topic to start focusing on how I want to go about writing this paper, to give this blog a little oomph, and to also challenege you, o blog reader. I challenge you to address the same topic in my comments or on your own blog. I think it might make for some very interesting reading, and no, it need not be Cf focused...just go with it! Even better yet, link here to what you write (if you wish, or hell, don't).

So this month's The Sun Reader's Write topic is Narrow Escapes.

It's late and I need to sit on this topic for a minute. Happy New Year

No comments: