Friday, November 21, 2008

jumpin' jack flash it's a gas gas gas


Ah, yes. The PFT lab. The reasons I hate hospitals, besides being nasty germ receptacles, are all the dumb protocols and dumb people who work in them. That being said, I actually had a decent RT. He was surprized I'd never been in the PFT lab before, but made an interesting comment that their "adult cystics vary so much it is hard to have an exact protocol that they all fit into." Thank you very much, Mr. RT, it's nice ot hear someone realize that. I expected the usual stuff...you don't look like you have CF, you must be very healthy, you're very lucky...etc. etc. - the susal junk medical people say when they find I have CF. HE did ask if I was new to the area, but whatever.

So the skinny is: My PFTs are actually up a point to 73%. I have to say, I am pleased, but had hoped for a larger jump after 2 months of swimming. Either way, that was good news. They did all this other jazz I never had before - where you hold your breath or they give you o2 or check gas exchanges....all that was within normal limits he said - I didn't get print outs on it, all I was really interested was the FEV1 - though all that other stuff was interesting. My small airways are still gasping at 33% though - no improvement there.

So unless my culture shows I am growing some strange bug, I think I am just in for another round of orals - or maybe adding in an inhaled abx. I dunno. I am definitely coughing a lot mroe recently though, and what I was spitting up the other day can be dscried as nothing less than camo colored green....but that seems ot have abated (right after I call the doc, of course), so I have no answer for what is going on except that maybe I just don't respond to cipro as well as I used to. Which will make me sad. Cipro used to me one mean mother, and it seems awfully fast to have worn out its welcome.

And the snow. Perhaps today I will shovel - that will be a lung cleaner-outer if ever there was one.

No comments: