Friday, November 28, 2008

and I knew to lay low when he came home drinkin' cuz I knew him like the back of my hand


Another holiday come and gone. We spend Thanksgiving with my husband's family, and it's nice because they are sooo much less pretentious than my family (my dad's side). Don't get me wrong, I love my family, but is nice to eat fried turkey on Thanksgiving paper plates and crack open a beer while watching football (not that I watch football) versus sitting around a formal dining table drinking wine and eating off of china - I like that too - but I do that with my dad's family all the time, so the relaxed atmosphere is nice.

My mom's family was in town too. This includes my uncle who has CF (but he is 12 years post tx). We went out for pizza with my mom and the kids and his new wife on Wed and I had a nice conversation with my uncle. He was good at explaining to my mom about why her reaction to my CF is so effing annoying to me. My mom is the queen of guilt and pity and I find it very frustrating.

I had been talking to my uncle about how I was trying to come into my own with this disease, be more open about it, less ashamed and I made a comment that my mom had had sort of a don't see don't tell attitude about it (mixed with oh-my-poor-baby-I'm-so-sorry for added flavor)...but my uncle told me that he didn't even know he had CF until 3rd grade! And that is because a teacher announced it to the class and betrated him in front of them when he didn't know what it was, then made him get an encyclopedia and read the definition to the class! Hell of all hells! I still feel his pain when I write that. But you can see that denial is well embedded in our family.

He was sort of pushing me getting admitted if I felt I needed to. I don't feel I need to, though I am still waiting on cultures to ome back. I am def. leaning toward IVS I think.

He also have me some great advice about dealing with my husband. He suggested I explain Cf in sort of mechanical terms: this is how the lungs work, this is what CF does to them etc. I though that was a great idea, though I have yet to sit down and talk with the hubster (<--- I can't believe I just wrote 'the hubster'. Ah, well, I'll let it stay).

All-in-all it was a nice holiday and I was glad to have spent the time with those that I did get to see.

This next week will be filled with wrapping up my paper for class and then I get to start C-mas shopping. I enjoy C-mas shopping, especially now that I have a daughter. I can get lost in the Barbie aisle in toys r-us. And I swore I'd never let my kids play with that stuff.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always knew if I had a daughter, she would totally be a Barbie girl! My sisters and I were all the way-we loved our Barbies. My sister hates the BRATZ dolls. lol Barbies are better!

Anonymous said...

What?!! How your uncle retains any sanity is a mystery.

Now do you see why I kept CF a secret even from my parents?