Saturday, September 4, 2010

the monster mash, it was a graveyard smash

So, we're one week into el port-o and I have to say I don't love it. I know I will when I need to use it. But for the love of pete, I can't imgine having a needle stuck in it! It still really hurts. I had myself convinced that my daughter had knocked it loose yesterday as she likes to come barreling into me. I wasn't looking and the pain of contact when she hit my chest brought me to my knees with a hearty eff word. oy.

I am a bridesmaid in my brother's wedding next Sat. and my dress sits right BELOW the port. C'est la vie cystique, I guess. I hope it starts to look prettier. Somewhere along the way this seemed like a good idea to get out of the way before we left. Now I ain't so sure. And while I have removed my own stitches, it looks as though the port is here to stay.

I think it needs a name.

In other fascinating news, I made my own zipper jewelry hair barrette which is super cute. I love seeing things I like and making them myself. truly rewarding.

I had some more intellectual stuff to say but the truth is my pain meds are kicking in and I no longer give a shit. Oh, I was going to say something about meds. Now, it might just be the crowd I run with, but people are just not shy about asking if they can have some of your pain meds. HEL-LO, I am in PAIN here. Clearly these people have never felt the "you are a junkie" vibe some medical practitioners - vowing to save your soul from addiction - give you when you call for narc refills. I know i have been guilty of this very thing in lives past. But I will never make that faux pas again. Off soap box.

Wee one wants to watch "Scooby Doo" so I must surrender el computadora to her whims. She is so cool though. She watched all of season one of "The Munsters" on netflix and wants to be a vampire mermaid for Halloween.

fotografias:

port, one week post


mon visage - see the zipper hair thing?


Mugshot

3 comments:

Piper said...

i have a friend who calls her port PORTia (she calls ivs IVanka or IVan depending on whether she decides you have a boy or girl iv -- which has nothing to do with the "gender" of your port or your person). i have never named my port(s) or my scars, although i'm not sure why. my donor i named donor bob, which i feel is appropriate for some reason.

name it. own it. and rock it out at the wedding, because even if it's not in the shape of an "s" it's still a pretty fun battle wound. i've decided my tx scars look like henna with the little dots from the staples, and suddenly i'm actually enjoying showing them off.

Juliet Page said...

Hey Shannon, It's looking pretty smashing one week out! I name things too. My latest is the name for Mac Med #2 (Ethambutol) which I shall be starting soon. It's the one most likely for the brain-fog side FX (which is the worst part for me). I have decided to call that med Evil Ethel. :) Have fun at that wedding!!

CowTown said...

My port doesn't have a name but my gtube does. We call it an MST, for my stupid tube. It's a good code term too when people are around. Hard thing though is to remember the real name in front of doctors and nurses. They don't know what the heck an MST is.

If you feel uncomfortable with your portofino showing at the wedding maybe after the ceremony you could attach a pretty flower arrangement or something if it's not a strapless. Really, I doubt other people will notice as much as you.

I've only been asked by a few people what my port is. The were people who had ALSO had one in their lives, non-cfers. Other then those knowledgable folks, no one else has asked me...well, maybe a couple of friends but that's it.