Monday, October 13, 2008

sniff me out like I was tanqueray


Yesterday while I swam, I got SOB. I have never been SOB while exercizing...well except after I ran the 440 in high school in my ill-fated attempt at the track team - that left me gasping for air, but it still wasn't the same.

I have a routine down. I start with a warm-up followed by a kick set, a sprint set, more kicking, a few laps of each stroke and a warm down. I am up to 30 laps. I'll add two more laps this week.

Anyway, during my warm up I had to cough. As I've stated before, I can cough and swim. I mean I can't have a huge coughing attack, but I can hack one up and swim at the same time. Years of swim training results in all sorts of interesting abilitites. So, I was warming up and coughing. Coughing early in any exercize routine is normal for me. I usually cough cough cough and then I am pretty clear for the rest of the time. But I coughed and then I never really was able to catch my breath. Each time I turned my head to breathe I was gasping and left feeling like I wasn't getting enough air in. It was scary.

But the thing is, I didn't stop. My warm up is 8 laps and I just refused to stop before that. It was like a pride issue or something. Or serious denial. Or maybe the fact that there was a cute lifeguard. I dunno. I just know I kept swimming (just keep swimming swimming) even though my body was begging me to lift my head and doggy paddle whilst gasping for breath. No way.

After that I had my 6 laps of kicking and I felt much better. My sprint set was fine and didn't feel SOB, so I don't know. I do know that after my swim my face was RED. I always get red after a serious work out, but I didn't feel I'd worked out that hard. I looked like it though.

I hope it was a fluke. A clogged airway or something because it really sucked.

And now, Halloween party pictures.


My mom as Cruella De Vil and my babe, Elmo


My step-mom and dad. MY dad refused to wear his clown hat so he dubbed himself "Shaka de Clown"


My husband, the cowboy and his sidekick Elmo.


My stepson - a hippe. ~Sigh~ he has so much to learn.


Elmo and me


Moi

3 comments:

Amy said...

Just keep swimming...swimming swimming swimming...That will be stuck in my head ALL night now LOL!!! Love that movie though so it's ok :)

Maybe you had an extra plug in there that finally broke free...Hope it was a fluke though and at least the rest of the work out was smotth sailing :D

Anonymous said...

what is hijo being for halloween?
-christine

Shannon said...

Christine, Hijo was a cowboy, though he looked more like a little Amish boy. He just was never around for pictures.