Sunday, March 15, 2009

my nose is built like a wound that won't heal

I thought I wouild try to document the whole sinus surgery deal, but each time I look down at my keyboard my nose starts bleeding, so....we'll see how far I get. Plus, something is wrong with one of my eyes - I have no idea what, but it feels like it got scratched or burned in the whole ordeal.

OK. So I went in Friday about 11:30 - found out I gained 2 more pounds - thanks so much body, even after giving up fast food for Lent (such a Judas, this body). My sats were 97 and my heart beat was alittle high for me, like 113 over 64 or something (I am usually pretty low, like 98 over 52 - maybe that is an exaggeration, but I have a low heartbeat).

So I farted around for like 3 hours while they all did their thing. Finally at like 2 they took me back. Guess what?! Operating rooms look just like they do on TV! Go figure. They got me warm blanket, my doc gave me a little grandfatherly pep talk nd the next thing I knew people were annoying the fuck out of me asking me to sit up and take big breaths and yadda yadda.

I don't think I could open my eyes for like an hour after the surgery. They gave me dilauidid and fentanyl and I tell you, neither worked. It was the same as when I had demerol during my son's birth - I could feel the drugs but also still the pain. Anyway, somewhere in there my sats went down to 88 and my heart beat went up to like 130 or somerthing and my face turned all red so they were all kinda freaking out. But they would not give me even an ice chip and I kept trying to tell them in my morphine haze that I would be able to breathe so much easier if my swollen dehydrated tongue wasn't constricting my airway, but no one was listening.

So the sugery was only supposed to take 1.5 - 2 hours but took 3 because, as my doc told my husband, there was A TON OF SHIT IN THERE. Oy. and then the whole red face heart beat sats thing took an extra while as well.

I think my face got red because they heat you up in some bag. I get very red in the face when I get hot, like after I work out I always look like a red faced mess, but they kept saying it was from the dilaudid. Well, here is a secret, people - I have taken dilaudid before (nonprofessionally) and it did not turn my face red. But I wasn't sharing that info.

So now I have a splint holding my new spetum in place and that is causing me some pain, but overlall I don't think my sinuses feel soo shabby. There is some throbbing and bleeding, which is annoying, but I am tolerating (with the help of my friendly vicodoin rx and some advil (the magic pill, apparently) and some ativan when i start to freak out and want to pick the fucking bloody splint out of my nose).

I hope the splint removal does not hurt.

So my sinuses have been sinuplstied and all the other ones have been ectomied (why ever they call them ectomies, I am not sure) so I hope this fixes up some problems. Please.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Yuck--I hope the pain starts to go away soon! I had my nose "done" not too long ago and getting the splints out didn't hurt for me. By the time they came out, I was pretty much better. I am surprised that they let you have advil. They told me I couldn't several times and wrote it in big letters on the paper, etc. because it thins the blood or something. I love how procedures can vary so much from place to place!

Anywho...I hope that you feel better very very soon!!

Take care,

Lisa

Shannon said...

thanks Lisa. I don't know if I should take advil, but i don't remember them saying not to - might be why my nose is still bleeding though. Oh well. I'll take a little blood over the pain, I'll tell you that. Good to know the splint doesn't hurt cuz I want that sucker OUT.

Anonymous said...

Oh boy. Get better soon Shannon! Sounds painful.

Cowtown