Friday, March 27, 2009

Brain Stew

I had the spacer/implants and splint removed from my nose yesterday. I thought the splint was removed last week, but it was actually the gel packs that were removed. The splint removal was a bit uncomfortable, but tolerable. There was a definite sense of relief when it was gone. I had had one of the stitches holding it place come out and so some of it was pushed far up into the left side of my nose making me sneeze A TON and so I was so glad to get that out.

BUT THE IMPLANT THING WAS LIKE HAVING MY BRAIN SUCKED OUT OF MY NOSE.

I mean, he was digging around in the left side (the right side is the one that has been giving me all this pain) and then from behind my left eye comes this searing tour-de-force of pressure nad ripping pain. I actually moaned.

I'm not a wimp, people. I have had a 100% natural child brith, I have 10 (depending on how you count them) tattoos, I pierced my own ear when I was in 6th grade for goodness sake, I can take pain.

BUT THE RIGHT SIDE.

OMFG. He could not get to the implant, so he is poking and prodding and renumbing it over and over and he keeps ripping out stuff that feels awfully similar to the left side extraction, but it isn't, it is just hard crusty bloody boogary stuff. So he would take a break, renumb and try again. Suddenly, I felt this ripping pain and pressure akin to my eyeball being ripped from the inside out my a gigantic crab claw and my brains follwoing being squeezed through my eye hole. I screamed, literally, screamed aloud and then all this blood just started gushing out of my head. It was like a bullet hole or something and my guts were pouring out of my head, all over my clothes and the nurse was like "OMG, Dr. K, she's bleeding!" and they pushed me back in the chair and covered my nose with gauze and I thought I might puke or faint. I have NEVER been light headed with blood or pain, but I am telling you all, that I thought I was going to pass out, so the doc gave me a SMELLING SALT. that felt great having a little whiff of ammonia in my newly gouged nose.

Anyway. I survived the ordeal but I will NEVER. NEVER. do this again. N E V E R!

My head does feel better though ym right eye is still agitated. I am thinking positive that there is an end in sight to all this. please.

this is the balloon catheter they use. The implants are about the same size, maybe a little thinner with these like grappling hook things attached to it. If you're real ambitions I think they are called micro something spacers

3 comments:

Amy said...

oh hell no! I will never have any kind of sinus surgery ick!!!!!

I think I got light headed just reading!

Hope it is feeling better!

CowTown said...

YUCK Shannon!! Wow. After all your descriptions all this time....I think I've forgotten WHY you even had this done in the first place. Geez! This all sounds terrible.

vitamin k- said...

damn, yo. total suckness. i fear i will need some work done in the sinus realm.

glad to know it's survivable at least.