Thursday, October 15, 2009

I called the witch doctor he told me what to do

I have to say that all this H1N1 buuullshit is making me quite nostalgic for my good health. I guess we all need that kick in the ass reminder every now and then not to take things like health for granted. I got a little paranoid this morning, morning 6 with a fever over 100, about not making it through the great flu epidemic of 2009. How long can a body have a fever before all the organs cook up? Alas, here I am vesting and nebbing and typing, sans advil or hydrocodone (how I love thee), and while my head feels slightly cracked by a ginsu knife and I have to turn my entire body to look right or left lest my eyeballs send searing pain into my dome, I am in decent spirits.

Onto Piper's blogger challenge.

1) What are your thoughts on "alternative" forms of medicine?

2) Have you personally ever tried any of techniques to manage your CF (or your child's) other than the typically prescribed routine? If so, what did you think of them? Are you still doing them?

3) What does "healing" mean to you in the context of cystic fibrosis.

4) Anything else you want to say on this topic.


1) I believe in alternative medicine to a point. There is a lot of wisdom in using nature to heal - I believe in a healthy diet, I believe (and have used) acupuncture, I believe in exercize, I believe in aromatherapy and essential oils (sorta, there is some proof that oils absorb into the skin and help, but I'm not using oils instead of meds anytime soon)- I don't believe in crystals or random chinese herb concoctions sold on the street corner or reiki. My dad was always a big proponent of diet and exercize and herbs - but not at the sake of modern medicine, in conjunction with. And while I know that diet and exercize aren't really "alternative" it is surprizing how many people don't look to those FIRST when trying to heal. I don't think we should blindly believe in any one mode of treatment. I think people should constantly question, search, try new things, but we don't need to reinvent the wheel either.

2) Exercize was alwasy my saving grace with Cf and I will spout off about it until the cows come home. My parents putting me in competitive swimming as a kid was the best thing they ever could have done for me. I did no other treatmetns as a kid, aside from enzymes. I don't exercize now like I should, partly due to my own laziness, partly due just trying to find the time. I have used herbs in conjunction with my Cf, but never saw any great improvement. Right now, I am all Western meds.

3) For me, healing with CF means not getting any sicker. It means rebounding from illness. Not feeling pain, not being uncomfortable, emotionally or physically, with the disease.

If you have your own blog, answer one or some or all of these questions there, and then post here to let everyone know to check it out. Or else just answer the questions in the comment field.

No comments: