Sunday, November 8, 2009

sitting here in limbo, like a bird without a song


So, you know, when it rains, it pours.

I have hives, I assume from the zosyn - I also got hives from augmetnin and ceftazadime(dine?), so I assume this is a penicillian thing.



Also, I am low on creon, In fact my purse stash ran out and last night we were at a birthday party when I realized I didn't have any and there were none in my husband's truck. So I made the stupid decision to go ahead and eat a hamburger without. I hardly ever eat without enzymes. Today I remember why.

I have only 8 creaon left at home. So I called in a refill.

Upon pick-up, the pharamcy told me my creon rx was declined due to price by my insurance. They have declined it before, often saying I am getting "too many." Usually I and lightly bitch and they fix it. I always assumed it was because I was trying to refill before my 30 days wre up, as is sometimes the case.

Anyway, when I called, the gal on the phone said it had to go to administrative review and would take 24-48 business hours to be resolved.

Dear readers, I have never "cussed out" a person in my life. In fact, I am very kind to the poor fools who answer phones at these kind of places because I know they are just little inefficent cogs in what is usually a square wheel. But I just came unglued. I was in the car at the Walgreens parking lot scratching my hives, woth a stomach ache and now crying and I think I said something to the effect that I had to have my medcine immediately. I could not fucking wait 48 hours and that by doing so they were inadvertantly trying to kill me and could expect to have a huge lawsuit on their hands, etc. I am kind of embarrassecd now.

But the woman on the othe end was kind and she kept her cool and apologized (and so did I) and she explained that since my rx was over $1500 it required an adminstrative override. I have only been taking this many creon for about a year now and I guess on business days sometimes Walgreens handles this for me, which is why this denial was happening sometimes and not others. I ended up getting a 24 hour supply from Walgreens. Nice or not, that rx company can bite my hived up ass.

So world, while I did walk about a mile yesterday and today and the weather has been superb, my nerves are a bit on edge and my tears are flowing easily. There is no where to go but up.

5 comments:

NoExcuses said...

Keep in mind that if you ever run out of meds or if you're in a "review process" for the insurance (happened to me many times) often times the drug rep for your clinic can give you samples to hold you over.

Just call your clinic, ask them if they have samples and if they don't, ask them for the name & phone # of the Creon drug rep. :)

Nicole said...

not much helpful to say but 'sorry' and I hope tomorrow is better.

I completely lost my cool on someone a few weeks ago when ill so I can relate to that, I too felt badly and although they were stupid and incompetent I shouldnt have reacted that way---if it will give you a chuckle I will admit to you that I called her an 'incompetant female' yeah I'm a world class name caller. When I broke down and told DH he said 'female' you actually said FEMALE not the big B LOL umm yeah--I'm stellar at insults--geez.

Lisa said...

I am really sorry Shannon! That sucks! I hope that the hives go away and that you get your Creon situation fixed soon. I agree with talking to your clinic if that ever happens...they should be able to help you out. Gess doesn't use Creon or I'd ship you some. Ughhhh...insurance companies are lame!

whatsherface said...

It's not Creon, but K and I have a ton of enzymes; we could easily overnight some to you if you're ever in this situation again.

And I'd venture to say that most of us have lost our cool with the inefficient cog-folk at least once in our lives (and probably a lot more than that). As a former pharmacy cog myself, I can say, they're used to it.

Anonymous said...

A friend of mine went thru something similar with her daughter's creon because they changed the formula, so it wasn't added to the approved list. She had to borrow money from her parents just so her 3 year old could eat.

I was just doing some research on my insurance site (BCBS) and found a memo indicating creon was added to the formulary list on October 2009. Ratatosk