Tuesday, September 23, 2008

the hills are alive with the sound of music

Music is memory, tell me yours. Here are some of my highlights:

As a small child, the sounds of Bob Marley are what I remember most.

I remember running around my house singing "Like a Virgin" when I was about 8. My dad got angry and told me not to sing that, so instead I sang, "Like a surgeon," and when he got mad and said that he told me not to sing that, I could sassily reply, "I saig surgeon, not virgin, dad!"

6th grade was my introduction to Poison and Guns N' Roses. I was never the same.

7th grade found me a fan of Sinead O'Connor - who no one else liked (no one still likes Sinead, but oh, what you're missing).

8th grade....Bel Biv Devoe, yo.

High school....Freshman year - "Stairway to Heaven" and Kipp J. such a jerk and not even cute, but ah, unrequited love.

sophomore: Indigo Girls, all the way baby. "Romeo and Juliet" still brings my teen angst to a head. They Might Be Giants "Birdhouse in Your Soul"

Junior: Phish, Grateful Dead, dancing to "Scarlet Begonias" at the beach and singing "What a lng, strange trip it's been" and the intro to my man LC, Leonard.

Senior: Liz Phair (and I kept standing 6'1" instead of 5'2" and I loved my life and i hated you"), Jane's Addiction...Ted, Just Admit it (Sex is Violent)

College: more Bob....I can still remember "I need a hammer a hammer a hammer to hammer them down" as we sucked nitrous oxide at parties. Good for the lungs, eh?, Alanis Morrisette just released "You OUghta KNow" and lots of Jane's...later I got into Sublime and Fiona.

and so it goes. Music. Life is a medley and I can think of a tune to go with any situation. It's a hobby.

No comments: