Tuesday, September 9, 2008

do you remember Yoda, he was a muppet also, Jim Henson made him he wasn't real


Time does get away from us, doesn't it?

I've been busy doing a lot of nothing.

I'm back in school. Three classes to go (not couting the one I am in) and I am D.O.N.E. - unless I go on for a PhD, which is a nice thought, but pretty unlikely...though not impossible. I have to admit, if I did it, it would really be a retaliation against my dad, who has a PhD in anthropology, as a, "you ain't all that," kinda thing. Yeah, there's some issues there. :)

So this class is called "Life Writing" and it is a combo writing/lecture credit. Basically we are reading scholarly personal narratives with a WWII/war-in-general theme....The War Complex, Patterns of Childhood, I Will Bear Witness, etc., and then the final paper we need to set our own narratives within a cultural/social context. So....I keep thinking the whole CF - disability rights thing. Half this group was in my class last semester, so CF will be no surprize to them - but i just don't know. My Cf out-coming was not nearly as liberating as I'd expected it be and I am not sure if I want to put it all out there again. It's just I can't think of any burning issues that I can really weave a personal narrative into....maybe breastfeeding. But can I stretch breastfeeding propaganda for 3000 words without sounding like fanatic? Not likely.

Finally, as I was driving home from class last night, it was pouring rain, but I was still opting to drive quite fast. I started thinking about death. I feel like Cf has given me a certain complacency about death. While i know there are few certainties in life, and my end could come at any moment - I can't help but feeling that since it is a pretty good possibility my end will be Cf-related that there is a sense of calm or knowing in that. It's like I can take some added risks because I already know the finale of my show. It is a weird feeling and not one I really ever entertained before.

Nevertheless, I am going to knock on some wood right now, lest Murphy decide to show me who'e boss and I choke to death on the popcorn I am about to make.

A word on popcorn. If you ain't popping it in oil on the stove, you ain't eatin' popcorn.

fare thee well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi Shannon,
I'm morelikeherself from livejournal. I would love to talk to you more about writing & cf if you're interested. Hope to hear from you.

kayla