Friday, September 19, 2008

I'm 5'2" and I'm giggly wiggly tell em again what did I do why are you scared of me?

A couple random memories:

If you're anywhere near my age, you might remember they had these dolls when we were young that you could pull their hair to make it grow longer. Id on't know what the doll was called. Anyway, so in 2nd grade there was a girl in my class named Shawntalina. One day she had short hair, the next day it was long. She had extensions put in, but I knew nothing about extensions, so I thought black people had hair you could pull to make it grow longer. seriously. A while later, she got in a fight with a boy named Terrecne on the playground and he ripped out two of her extensions, but I thought he had ripped her braids right off of her head. I couldn't believe she was so tough!

In 5th grade, there was a girl name LaToya (who had a twin named LaToy). LaToya was a total bully. She was full grown at age 10 or 11 (maybe she was even 12) and used to wear a shirt that said WWA on the front and on the back it said Women with Attitudes. Anyway. LaToya had it out fo me for some reason. In 5th grade I was about 4'6" and maybe 60 lbs - teeny. So LaToya, all 5'10 120 lbs of her would just harrass me. Once I had my legs through the bottom rung on my desk and she came up and stomped the top of my foot over the rung and ripped my banana clip out of my hair and said, "I'm gonna kick your ass after school." I stood up and said, "Oh yeah, well I'll shine it up for your footprint," or something equally dumb, but apparently my tiny little cystic self intimidated her enough that she backed off. Years later my friend Lo confessed that she thought more than once my mouth was going to get one of us killed. I like to think it saved us though, from playground torture.

My dad always said, "It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog." (which I want to attribute to like Dwight Eisenhower or something).

Anyway. I believe that, I really do, and I have always led a spirited fight against CF. I think last week's clinic visit only solidified my original plan - to beat the fuck out of the disease before it beats me. So I joined the local YMCA and I am going to start swimming again. It's been a long time coming but it is now time to shed this fat belly and toughen up these lungs. They've life left in them yet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also joined the Y this summer and began swimming. My PFTS went way up. A flat stomach would be nice too, but I've got a long way to go. Good luck!

CowTown said...

Good for you! Kick some butt!