Friday, July 25, 2008

old blog 8

I workshopped my CF piece a few weeks ago. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I definitely felt this wierd vibe when I walked into the classroom - like pity-ish, which you know I just hated. But good graduate students they are, and immediately put on their scholarly caps and began to dissect the writing - pleasantly though. One of the biggest suggestions I had was that they wanted to know more about all of YOU - my "disease culture" - so, CF.com, you made it, in a composite way, to the final draft.

The worst part of the whole CF writing escapade, was that part of our revision/portfolio requirement was a graduate reading where many of the writerly folks from school were invited to hear us recite a few pages from our work. I decided to read from the Cf paper because a) I just revised it and b) if you're coming out, you might as well come all the way.

So, it was pretty horrible. To stand in front of a room of people and say - in a microphone - I HAVE CF - well, for me, that sucked ass. But I did it, oh world, here I am.

After the reading we went out for a few coctails (my favorite part) - but everyone got all worried that there wouldn't be seating in the nonsmoking section, of which I would have never complained and dutifully breathed in my month's worth of second hand - but I hated that it was because of ME that this was an inssue - and while I know everyone was simply being kind, I hate unwanted CF-related attention. It was a moot point - there were plenty of seats in the non smoking area and all was well. I downed a few pints and got all motor-mouthed about Cf with a gal who used to be an RT and the night carried on.

No comments: