Sunday, August 3, 2008

calling out around the world

I was outed yesterday, by my own husband. Can you say AWKWARD?

We went up to a friend of mine's lake house, and took the kids out on the boat. We moored to go for a swim and I was trying to convince the huz that he should be the one to go in the water with the baby, as I am usually the one who does it. He replied with, "But you need the exercise." Our friends started laughing and saying that was "cold" and just jesting with G for what he'd said. I knew what he meant, but they clearly thought he meant it as if he were suggesting I was in bad shape (never mind that I am). So he said, "No, for her CF." Which of course they don't know about and quickly said, "Her what?" But, thank goodness, the manchild called our attention out toward the lake and the situation was diffussed - not withstanding the hairy eyeball I gave my husband.

I don't know how to better handle these situations. I find them terribly uncomfortable. The last thing I wanted to do was explain Cf on a boat in the middle of a fun, sunny day. I wish I could be comfortable enough in my own skin to just be matter-of-fact about it all, but I am not.

I've decided it's pretty pertinant that I go on abx before CA, especially if I am not going to take my vest. I don't want to, but only because I want to drink or imbibe in whatever other treats might come my way, which doesn't make sense, but hey - none of this shit makes any sense, does it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

I hate those awkward moments. They're never fun!

I've learned to have a quick little summary that I can give in a few sentences to strangers/acquaintances about cf. Those few words usually tie them over so it's in their hands to ask more info if they feel so obliged. People don't usually ask once they know, I think they're scared to intrude or something.

I used to hide it all as you do (and still do to a certain extent), and like you, I've made some great distance in getting out of denial. For me it took a good level acceptance first, and then realizing people will either deal with it or they won't. Those that don't want to deal with it or hear about, remain an acquaintenance type friendship, and I'm okay with that. Some family members fall into that bracket too, and I'm okay with it. I have other friends and family that *are* there for the cf stuff, so it all balances out.

And sometimes, I find it much easier for other people to tell other people about the fact I have cf, so then they know. At least then, they aren't as surprised when I cough all the time, etc, and I don't always need to say a word.

Just a quick ramble for ya. :)

cowtown