Tuesday, February 24, 2009

cuz its all in my head and i think about it over and over again

As I predicted, I got my CT report in the mail before el doctor has called. It is so annoying. I am trying to read this thing and while I get the basics, most the medical jargon is beyond me - wikipedia can only do so much.

Basically:
cylindrical and saccular bronchiectasis - I don't really get this, but I understand bronchectasis
lung abnormalities greatest in upper lobes, minimal disease in lower lobes (this has been said on my xrays for as long as I can remember)

here is one that I don't understand: "there are some generous sized bronchiolar artery collaterals noted in the mediastinum posterior to the distal trachea"

on to the sinuses. Sinusitis with a deviated septum and no polyps. I've never had polyps so this is not a big surprize either. Basically what I think the guys is saying is I have got some fucking INFECTED ass sinuses (not sure, but that is what it sounds like - everything is "opacicity this and opacicity that.")

So any MDs out there wanna help me dissect this further, be my guest.

As for the diviated septum. I'm not sure about that - some say surgery. I am not too into that idea but if it would reduce sinus infections, I might be talked into it. I am thinking we are looking at IVs at least.

You guys that read this boring blog are the best. I promise once my head stops hurting to write something mor exciting than wah wah wah Cf sucks - though, who could ask for a better audience??

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The cylindrical and saccular just explain what type of bronchiecstasis you have. You have 2 of the 3 kinds of bronchiecstasis associated with cf. Cylindrical bronchiectasis is the least severe form of bronchiecstasis where bronchi become smooth. Saccular (aka cystic) bronchiectasis is the most severe and means your bronchi are increased from what they should be and that subdivisions are decreased (just not getting a ton of air there).

I'm pretty sure (but not 100%) that bronchiolar artery collaterals means that there are a lot of vessels that are coming from the bronchial artery (which I guess might make you more prone to bleeds and I don't think these are common in non-cf population) in the area towards the back of your lungs in your trachea (really crappy explanation, sorry).

whatsherface said...

I was just going to break down the words and take a guess, but anon seems to have a pretty good explanation to me!

When I had a sinus and lung CT, my doc sat down with me and we looked at the films together - he pointed out all the F'd up areas and explained how they should look, etc. Of course, I remember NOTHING of what he told me, but whatev. Hope your doc calls you soon to discuss and answer your questions.

Anonymous said...

If the report says complete opacification that means your sinuses are screwed. My ct in the fall was all complete this complete that blah, blah blah. As for the deviated septum mine came back off 3mm's to the left. The doctor made no big deal about this so I wouldn't worry too much about that unless it is really off.